Monday, April 20, 2009

"are you the only stranger who does not know what has taken place these past few days?"

I want to thank everyone who has supported this mission trip in so many ways:

To Rob Peace, for saying "Let's do it" without a moments hesitation. For true support and the faith that this would happen because it is God's work.

To Brother James, who was quite patient with me as I had what must have seemed interminable questions.

To Pam Bezirdjian who sat with the chaperones to refresh our first aid knowledge and prepare us for a variety of situations. Thank goodness we ran across no coral snakes (although we might have put a dent in that bottle of calamine lotion).

To Sarah Peightel, the business office, and development, who patiently explained to me details of what I could and could not do. I promise to be better in the future!

To the faculty and staff of the Mount, who supported us with donations and with prayer. It meant a lot to us and the boys to know you were pulling for us!

To Lloyd, our wonderful bus driver who cheerfully hauled around muddy, tired boys.

To the parents: Thank you for trusting us to steal your sons over Easter. I felt a little like Bob Wallace in White Christmas asking to split up your families on a major holiday. Thank you for all of your support.

To Dave, Dan, and Anne: Thank you thank you thank you for coming on this little adventure. I felt blessed to be working with such amazing adults- and I feel as though we formed our own little band- what a pleasant surprise to return from this trip with dear friends.

And most important of all, to the boys, which I really should rephrase and say to the men of the Mount who gave up their spring break to help those in need: I am so proud of you all. It was a wonderful thing to witness your transformations. In the way that you handled yourselves on site, in the way you interacted with Ms. Viola, in how you looked out for each other, and most importantly in witnessing your humble, simple, compassionate, zealous, and trusting service. There are so many snapshots of you that I will have with me forever. I hope that you carry this trip with you too, and that you "pay it forward." And one last teacher moment: In your life I hope you remember the lessons from the Road to Emmaus and learn to look for God in the simple,. ordinary moments of everyday life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers